Sunday, January 19, 2020

No knead bread

For Christmas I was given a cast iron enameled pot. Not only is it pretty, but I can bake yummy bread in it! I wanted this pot after I tried this no knead bread a month or so ago.  All you "knead" is time.


(Click on title to print)
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoons instant yeast 
1 1/2 cups room temperature water

1. Dough prep: In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, salt, and yeast together until mixed. Stir in water until chunky, thick scrappy, dough forms. Cover the mixing bow with plastic and let it rest for 12-18 hours. I just leave it over night. 


2. Prep for baking: Once ready to bake, put your cast iron pot in a cold oven turn on to 450* for 30 mins. While your pot heats the dough will be big and puffy and loose with bubbles. Gently scrape the dough out onto a well floured surface. Gently shape into a ball with flour on the outside, remember no knead. Place on parchment paper while your pot heats.



3. Bake: Lift dough and parchment together into the pot so the parchment lines the bottom of the hot pot. (be careful the pot is extremely hot!) bake covered 30 min. Remove lid and bake another 10-15 mins. to get the out side nice and golden.

I have tried whole wheat flour, bread flour and all purpose flour. The all purpose flour is what we thought worked and tasted best! 


No comments:

Post a Comment